Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Would A Casey By Any Other Name Be As Awesome?

As you may have heard recently, a couple of celebrities named their baby girl North West. While it is not unusual for celebrities to name their children odd things, it still always gets people tutting about how hard it would be to grow up with a name like that. But there are a LOT of unusual names out there- and a lot of studies trying to figure out how our names influence us.

Source

I, for one, love my name! Being a Casey means that I rarely ever had another Casey in my class or at a party, but I could still find it occasionally on souvenirs (not all the time, but that made the hunt more fun!).

However, Casey is a unisex name and I have had a few awkward encounters over the phone or in person where a person thought that I was going to be a man! It even happened once when I showed up for an interview- it must have thrown the interviewer for a loop. It also doesn't help that my last name is a common men's first name (although, that seems to be becoming unisex too with all the hipsters getting creative with baby names...).

I love to day dream about my future children's names (weird confession...haha) and I really think I lean to old fashioned names that are a bit unique. Of course, baby name trends change faster than the weather, so who knows what I will like when I eventually have kids! I hope I can at least find them a name that is popular enough that people can recognize it and spell it (and find it on souvenirs!), but unpopular enough to be the only one nearby with it!

According to BabyCenter.com, my name was #80 for girls in the year I was born (coincidentally, that was when it peaked!). This year's #80 is Brynn. Hmmm.... hahaha

Do you like your name? Any favourite baby names?




8 comments:

  1. My name is so common now (top 10, I think), but I never knew another Abby growing up (except two neighborhood dogs). Souvenirs NEVER had my name on them! Well, we went with an unusual name for the baby, so poor Leo will never have a keychain with his name on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless he looks in the astrological section ;). Tho he may start to wonder why everything has lions on it

      Delete
  2. My name has never been all that common and usually hangs around in the 700-1000 area in name rankings. As a kid I hated having a name that was "weird" but now I'm kind of grateful that I'm not one of the multitudes of Jennifers, Jessicas, Amandas, Melissas or Michelles of the 80s (not that those aren't perfectly good names).

    Oddly enough I named my kid something that while recognizable enough to not seem out of the mainstream, it's definitely not a name you hear every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad wanted to name me just Lisa but my mom said no 'Lisa is too plain' so they added a dash and a Marie to make it special. Apparently that's all it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you like your name, even though it's unisex. I've always struggled with my name because of that fact. I get frustrated when I introduce myself as Alex and the response I get is, "But that's a boys name!" No, it's unisex. (Alexandra is just too long, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know other girl Alexes! I wouldnt have been confused :)

      Delete
  5. So - here is the inside scoop on how Casey got her name!
    We were going to call her Kathleen Carol but that seemed like quite a mouthful so we then thought we would call her K.C. for short.
    That ended up being 'Casey'.

    Just so you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that! I cant see myself as a Kathleen! Though, Casey Carol would have been fun

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover