Thursday, March 17, 2016

Runners Knee

Remember how after my 30K on Sunday I mentioned my left knee was not too happy? Well it actually hurt quite a bit as time went on, and I did some googling and it exactly fits the description of runners knee, which basically means there is an issue with my knee cap/cartilage and it is mad at me. It really hurt to go down stairs or down an incline on Monday, though otherwise my legs were fine.

I have been resting and icing it, which is the best medicine for this type of injury. I also picked up some supplements that are supposed to help with joints (Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM). The jury seems out on whether these supplements actually help runners knee, but I figured it can't hurt! Lastly, I went to my chiropractor last night and she performed some voodoo magic on it and my back, pelvis and neck, so hopefully that will help as well.

I am also doing a lot of research into exercises and stretches to stop the issue from coming back. A lot of evidence seems to point to a poorly supported knee cap being to blame, so the exercises aim to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I always thought I had pretty strong legs, but I guess my knees are my weak spot. Plus I have fallen arches and I run on hard surfaces...both of those are hard on the ol' leg elbows.

Thankfully every day the knee has been feeling better and better! I skipped my Tuesday run, which was so hard, because otherwise I feel great and really want to run. But hopefully I will be back at it this weekend! And plus, this week IS a rest week, so cutting back is all part of the plan. It is a good thing I keep getting injured right before my rest weeks!


1 comment:

  1. Hope you and your knee feel better and you have a great run this weekend! Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover