Wednesday, December 12, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

This post will probably be a short one because I just got home from the office end-of-year dinner and I am hankering to get to bed. But I thought I would pose this question, because it is interesting to me- do you make (and/or keep) new years resolutions?


I find the whole concept kind of strange, because I think you should try to better yourself daily, not just because it is suddenly a new year. So I don't often think of goals like "spend more time with family", "save more" or "lose weight", because I think those are honourable things that shouldn't have to wait for a new year to be started. Plus many people have no idea how to make their goals for 2013.

A goal needs to be definable. You cannot just say "I want to lose weight". You need to express how much weight, what the deadlines are, what your action plan is. Without these, a goal is just a dream.

As this year draws to a close, I am reminded of what I chose to focus on previous years. In 2011, I wanted to learn to drink beer (which came in handy in Oktoberfest of that year). In 2012, I wanted to learn to like wine (and I think I have accomplished this too!).

They may seem like silly goals, but to someone who didn't drink beer or wine, they were social skills I knew I needed to master. I couldn't keep going out for social gatherings and not pitching in for the pitcher of beer. And I couldn't keep attending nice office dinners and not partaking in the sharing of a bottle of wine. They were important to me!

So as I look down 2013, I am wondering what goal to choose for next year. I like to pick something (usually a life skill) that is simple, fun, and important to my future. Something that maybe I have put off for years. I often pick a skill that I think I will appreciate years down the road. I'll let you know in the new year what I decide. Maybe having this blog will make me stick to it.

Have you given any thought to this yet? What are you thinking you would like to master next year?

6 comments:

  1. I don't usually make resolutions. Last year I did make 12 goals for 2012 and I think I might do something similar for 2013. Just a list of things I would like to accomplish during the year. Some of them were small, some were big. I haven't given any thought to this next year's goals yet. I really should get on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you keep that up, 2050 is gonna be a busy year!!

      Delete
  2. OH YES! I always make goals =)

    In fact, I've already started my 2013 goals. I don't believe in waiting for a new year, new month, or Monday to get started. I get started as soon as I can!

    This year I have 4 categories: Spiritual, Mental, Physical, and Financial.

    I've set a goal (or 2) in these areas, wrote em down, and they're going up on my wall soon to serve as a constant reminder.

    I'm not a fan of just setting a goal for the sake of having a resolution. I follow the S.M.A.R.T. guideline:

    Specific
    Measurable
    Achievable
    Realistic
    Timely

    Example? I'm going to read at least 6 non-fiction books in 2013.

    Way better than "I'm going to read more."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man that is organized and intense! puts my "learn to like beer" down a notch. haha

      I like your SMART acronym!

      Delete
  3. Casey, I think you need to move up to mastering hard liquor, you haven't done that one yet. I'll help! xo Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover