Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bathroom Planning!

So on Saturday I met up with my contractor Ky (and my best friend, who happens to be dating said contractor) and we discussed the upcoming plans for my bathroom!


1. Replace counter top. 
Cait at Hernando House sent me a link for a company called Solid Surface that manufactured bathroom counter top to custom widths! And the price is MUCH lower than I had imagined. So now the plan is going to be to just replace the counter top with a stone counter and an undermount sink! I am going to shop around for the best deal. I mean, if one company doesn't bat an eye at cutting a vanity top to 33.5" wide, maybe others don't. I actually have no idea if Solid Surface even ships to Canada. Probably not. Point is, this option is probably more budget friendly than it first seemed

2. Replace faucet
Not sure what style to go for here, but I definitely want to upgrade. All I know is I am not a huge fan of waterfall style because I think it will be hard to keep looking clean.

3. Replace or frame out mirror
Bye bye builder grade mirror! I intend to make this a little nicer

4. Bigger medicine cabinet
I would love to only have storage on one side of the bathroom to make it look less crowded in here. That means finding a bigger cabinet or putting shelves over here. The only problem is that a lot of medicine cabinets have mirrored fronts so I would need Ky to redo the front of whatever I choose.

5. Recaulk tub
The tub caulk is badly stained and needs replacing. I figured I might as well get Ky to do it while she is in here!

6. Convert false front "drawer"
I want to have this little drawer front flip down and have some small storage. Like this!
Via
7. Paint!
I am thinking of going really bold in here just for fun. You can always paint over paint right?
Sherwood Forest by Benjamin Moore

As you can tell, I am leaving the floor alone! Yup, not gonna mess with tile this time. I really don't want to lose my bathroom during this and I think upgrading everything else will make the floor less boring to me. I still kinda want a darker vanity, but I am going to make these changes first and then see how I feel about attempting to stain it.

Oh, and as for accessories, I am totally loving this West Elm shower curtain

9 comments:

  1. Ohhh! I love all your plans. :D I think that they sound fabulous and totally attainable. Plus, I think it's a good idea not to touch the tile for now. I hate the tile in our basement bathroom but when I redecorated, I left it alone and it looks way better than it did. Can't wait to see updates as you move along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats the plan! I can always change tile after the fact

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh I love that shower curtain! Maybe I'll see if I can get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice! Ky was pushing for a laminate wood floor in here too, but wood just wouldnt work because there is like this weird intersection here of 3 different floors (hardwood, carpet, and tile) and so 2 woods so close would just be strange. its hard to explain. but trust me.

    Ky said the tip out would be an easy fix!! Ill keep u guys posted

    And I think some O.co stuff ships to canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome!

    I totally trust you that the intersections of multiple floors is odd (our house does that at the kitchen/dining/living room). The vinyl plank flooring I used in our kitchen isn't actually laminate, it's more like a giant sticker of linoleum. Sort of a classier version of '80s peel-n-stick. Some people even grout theirs (like Emily did in her bathroom). They are about 0.12 inches thick, and come in non-wood options, too.

    Anyway, your bathroom is going to be awesome, regardless of flooring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will look amazing Casey! Can't wait to see! Invite me!! xo Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have a West Elm shower curtain. If you order it online like I did, prepare yourself for wrinkles. When you get it in the mail and unwrap it, either iron the curtain or throw it in the dryer for a bit to get the wrinkles out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what is this "iron" you speak of? ;)

      I will probably buy in store. I live like a 30 minute walk from a West Elm!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover