Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Finished Shelving!

I feel like I should call this the week of the shelves because this project has been dragging on! But, when you run a blog about a 400 sq ft condo you really gotta milk larger projects like this ;)

I finally did what is hopefully my last trip to Canadian Tire for awhile yesterday and I picked up some small wood screws and some wall anchors. I knew that to help make the shelves more steady I needed to anchor the screws at the bottom of each bracket so they would sit more securely. It was quite easy to do! I just unscrewed the screw and I could twist the bracket off away from the hole (they were terrible to get on the original anchored to concrete screw). Then I just drilled a larger hole where the screw hole was, cut a plug in half and stuck the half plug in! Then all you needed to do was put the screw back in. It feels sooo much stronger now so I am glad I did it!

I also needed to screw the shelves to the brackets. I decided to take the lazy man route and only screw in the front. To do this, I had to drill guide holes into the shelves. I placed each shelf on the brackets and lined them up so they were in the middle and then leveled them to each other at one end. Then I used my drill to drill up through the bottom of the bracket (there is a hole there). It was soo difficult to get the right pressure drill upwards, so I just used this method to mark the spot. After that I pulled the shelves off, placed them on the floor, and properly drilled the hole. It was very easy to get a small screw up into them after this.

The finally- FINALLY- I was done! Then I got down to business decorating. I just used things I had around the condo, but I plan to slowly get some nice items for my new shelves :)


Now for some close-ups, yes?



I love them!! But I do think I will move anything breakable out from under them just in case.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! They look so good and you must be so pleased with them. They turned out great. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so happy and so far they havent fallen down! haha

      Delete
  2. Great job! I'd like to get a sense of where these are in your place - I can't quite picture it. I bet it makes a difference in the room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will update the overall pictures! but its across from the kitchen, beside the couch. (if that helps)

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Based on your fallingshelfaphobia I'm surprised to see that heavy load is on the top shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as I was putting it up there I kept thinking "this is a terrible idea" Hasnt fallen yet!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover