Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Planting Some Ideas...

I know Spring has kind of disappeared here for a few days (I hope it will be back soon!!), but still my thoughts have turned to plants- decorative and herb!


I have thought about planting a little herb garden in my place, but a) I kill all plants and b) I don't know how to cook with herbs. I am not kidding when I say the only seasoning I ever use is salt and pepper. I have no idea how to cook and it is sad. But the more pressing issue with me having any sort of garden is my unbelievable talent for killing plants. For instance, I brought my african violets out to the balcony to give it some sun this past weekend. I then forgot and it sat out there during this cold snap...aaaaaand it's dead.

However, while I think about my decision to invest in some plants, I thought I would share some cute ideas I have found for accommodating plants in a small condo or on a small balcony!

Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via

Shelves over windows are awesome, but will never work with my one giant wall of windows. I also don't really have a wall near the windows that I could hang shelves from. I also don't know about hanging plants from my ceiling because it is drywall and plants can be heavy! But some of these balcony ideas really have me thinking about options for out there. Does anyone have any recommendations for low maintenance plants? What about a guide to using herbs and spices? :P

4 comments:

  1. What exposure do you have (north, west, south or east)?

    Northern exposure will get little to no direct light -> partial shade/part sun plants or even shade plants would Be appropriate.

    Eastern exposure -> part sun (less than 6hrs).

    Southern and western exposure will start getting direct light aroun 10-11am through sunset. --> full sun drought resistant plants.

    I would suggest starting with hearty, non-fussy plants like succulents-- yes they're trendy right now but they're inexpensive and hard to kill (there's one called 'eternity' be a use its so hard to kill!); spider plants or golden pothos vine for hanging baskets and climbers; try mother in laws tongue or snake plant if you want a bigger/taller grower that thrives on neglect.

    My FIL has had the same Hoya plant and rubber tree for over a decade and both are thriving (he is home on weekends only and is a notorious plant killer).

    As for herbs I've only ever grown sage, oregano and basil outdoors successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips!! I face south, but I tend to get the best sun in the mornings due to the weird angle of my windows and balcony. I think for indoor plants id better stick with shade plants.

      I have looked at succulents, but so far theyve always seemed a tad pricy. I am going to keep my eyes peeled for any deals

      Delete
    2. Succulents tend to be more expensive through the winter months. Once we move a little further into spring there should be some deals to make way for seasonal annuals.

      Another thing you can do is take a cutting from a succulent (if you know anyone growing them), pot it and start your own plants.

      Delete
  2. I hear you with killing plants--every spring I think I have grown a green thumb over winter! ha ha! Maybe this year? You have to start cooking with more than just salt and pepper too!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover