Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Making the Front Hall More Usable

I am a creature of habit. When I come home I like to take off my coat, then my scarf and hat, and then take off my boots. However, if you take a look at my floorplan, you will see an issue with taking my coat off before my boots!


See how much of a trek I have to make to get to the front hall closet?! Insanity! Haha, yes, I am aware that this is a #firstworldproblem, but I hated wearing my dirty winter boots across the floor, and I hated wearing my coat while removing my boots because it is so bulky!

As well, I needed some seating in the front hall for sitting on while removing and putting on one's shoes. So after a quick trip to Target (before it closes!), and Canadian Tire for some hooks, I have a much more user-friendly front hall!


The bench has turned out to be very handy, though the cushion is kind meh so I am sure I will sew a prettier one eventually :)


The hooks have worked out awesomely. I like that they are simple and modern, yet sturdy! I had to break out my hammer drill to get them into the cement wall.


I was originally going to do three hooks over the bench, but my stepdad pointed out it wasn't much of a view when you first opened the door, so I took his advice and did two on the wall and just wrapped one around to over the bench. Eventually I will hang some art up too!

2 comments:

  1. Smart--love that bench there! We're just finishing up a mudroom built-in and it's been pretty life-changing (ha). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent bench! I need one but we don't have space at our front door. :( I want to eventually have a bench/mudroom built-in area at our side door though. @Anne: I would LOVE to see what you are doing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover