Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Half Marathon Training: Week 10

Total Miles This Week: 23.75
Total Miles Overall: 221.5 Miles

Workouts Completed:
Wednesday: 4.75 Miles (4 miles slow- 9:52 avg pace, with faster intervals for last 0.75 miles- 8:59 avg pace)
Friday: 6 Miles (10:37 avg pace)
Saturday: 5 Miles (10:13 avg pace)
Sunday: 8 Miles (9:58 avg pace)

This past week was a HOT one, which thankfully coincided with a "rest" week for running. After this my mileage amps up again to crazy levels so it was nice having a shorter-mileage week. Except I feel like I pushed my pace this week so my legs are tired anyway.

I am learning how to run in the heat, though! I thought I would shares some tips

1. Water. water water water water water. Stay hydrated. For longer runs, I drink sports drinks
2. Sunscreen! I wear SPF 30 designed for sports, no matter what time of day I am running
3. Proper clothing. I wear materials that wick sweat and are designed for working out. I generally wear shorts (3 1/2" pique mesh shorts from Old Navy are my favourite) and a light technical Tshirt. I prefer a tee over a tank top for sun protection. I also wear a Buff with sunscreen under it to protect my scalp. I probably should also be wearing a hat with a brim, but I generally just wear sunglasses. Oh, I also wear running socks vs regular socks!
4. Try and time your runs for off-peak sun hours. I am not so good at the early mornings, so I run after work during the week. I try to wait until closer to sunset to avoid the worst of the heat and sun. I don't like running in the dark so I generally am home shortly after sunset. On the weekend I get up early and then take a nap later in the day.
5. Go slow. Honestly some days it is just too hot so I don't try and push myself too hard. It is simply a fact that I won't get my best times on a really hot day.

Now it is your turn- how did you survive working out this summer?

1 comment:

  1. I do my runs at 5 am to beat the heat! not for everyone though, I know :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover