Monday, September 24, 2012

Chalk It Up

I thought I would share today what I did with my new chalkboard wall! First I had to prep the whole surface, once the paint had cured for its agonizingly long 3 days. What you have to do is rub a piece of chalk ALL OVER the surface and then wipe it off with a damp cloth. It took me two pieces of chalk to go from this:

To this:


To this:

It looks like a lot of work, but really it just was a good 20 minute bicep work out.

Then I was stuck with indecision over what to christen the wall with! Eventually I struck inspiration from this amazing photo of my friend Jeni and I and I chose to draw it on the wall. I will probably change the wall 600 times, but this was a fun first project.




It is hard to take a photo of, since the hallway is only 3 ft wide. But it turned out alright!

I also did the front hall with a greeting to guests.


Check out my cute little basket of chalk!


I got the basket from Ikea for about $5 and the jars were small candle holders I got as a gift but the candles have long run out. Chalk was hard to find- as expected. The dollarstore didn't have any! They sold chalkboards (that technically came with some cheap chalk), but not just chalk. However, across the road I found a little art store and I got white and coloured chalk from there- along with the cute little old school eraser. I should have gotten two so when my guests misbehave I can make them go outside and knock the erasers together. haha

So that is my little chalk project! I hope you enjoyed!

5 comments:

  1. This looks so cool!! I can't wait to draw stick people (my specialty) all over it :)
    Vee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so creative! I love it. Your newest follower from the DIY Party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I plan on stalking everyone's blogs from the DIY party tomorrow!! :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover