Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chalkboard Reveal!

Yesterday I did a post about how I bought some chalkboard paint in Hale Navy from Benjamin Moore and today I am going to show you what I did with it! Yay!!

Bad news- the project still isn't 100% done because I realized today that it needs to cure for 3 days before you can put chalk on it. And I don't own any chalk (details...). But I am excited to show you where I am today just in terms of my sexy paint job!

Now for the big reveal on what I was painting: My hallway!

I realized that I didn't have a before picture of my hallway so I took this one just after taping. This wall is across from my travel gallery wall and I have not done a darn thing with this wall since I moved in (well besides painting it grey like the rest of the condo). Hanging on this wall is my degree and my sky-jumping certificate and I only put those up there 6 months ago. I can't even think of what was there before. See what I mean- it is the forgotten wall!

And now it looks like this!

I even did around the corner!

I love it soooo much. I wish I was a better photographer so that I could really show how beautiful this colour is in person. It is such a dark and moody blue. I am itching to get some bright white chalk up on it but I am resisting!

Can I also take a minute to talk about paint? When I painted the condo I bought the cheapest paint I could get and I swear I had to do about 3 coats to get full coverage. And I am talking about LIGHT GREY ON WHITE. 3 coats! This chalkboard paint was honestly ONE coat to go from light grey to dark blue. I did a second coat too, just to be sure. I am a terrible painter- my paint jobs never look even or cover well, but this one wall was the best job I have ever one and I swear it is because of the paint.

The one Debbie Downer of this project? My Frog Tape. I had used it before to paint, but this time it just failed me! I don't know if make it came unstuck (it had to wrap around my skinny baseboards) or what, but I ran into two issues:

1. It pulled up the existing white paint trim on the closet door. I don't know what type of paint the white is, as it was done by the builder. But now I have to figure out how to fix this, and I do not want to repaint all my trim!

2. I had terrible bleed-through on the baseboards. It honestly just looked terrible with navy spilling all over my trim. It only did this on the baseboards, not around the door frames?

Paint was still wet here- it isnt that splotchy now!
I remedied this with some simple white craft paint and a skinny brush after the blue paint had dried. It looks much better now, but ya...not impressed.
Fixed...a little
So now I am playing the waiting game until I can get my hands on some chalk (too bad sidewalk chalk season has ended or this would be easier!). So tune in next week for a final update! I haven't hung my degree and certificate back up yet because I am planning a little project with them too. Patience is a virtue, right? :)

9 comments:

  1. Grand and Toy sells chalk and so does the dollar store! ALL YEAR 'ROUND!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont have Grand and Toy money! Already planning to hit up dstore. I hope I can find jumbo chalk

      Delete
  2. I had a hard time finding chalk at the dollar store recently as they said it's not "in season" so I went to Staples and they had it too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? that is discouraging! hmm...I think I will have to do a whole post about my hunt for chalk. haha!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Try Michael's (or any craft store). They also make chaulk markers which i prefer (less mess).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think they have chalk paint too?? But I feel that it may be asking too much for that in late Sept. I dont think there is a Michaels near me, but there are craft stores. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
    2. The markers are year round (have bought) for some reason it's near all the markers and scrapbook stuff. They're not cheap (12 for 4 pens!) but i prefer. I painted chalk walls for all of my kids and they look great. Also crayola has chalk year round (look in kid section). Staples is good (teacher supplies). Good luck in your hunt. :)

      Delete
    3. I found some crayola chalks at an art store. I looked for the pens, but I didnt see any. Maybe I will upgrade next summer when all the chalk stuff comes out in full force!

      Delete
  4. That is an awesome idea! I'm inspired :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover