Tuesday, May 7, 2013

New Plants on the Balcony!

I have been slowly curating some plants for the balcony and I think it is time to share where I am! I still want to get a few more because plants really make this balcony look like a little slice of heaven. However, since I kill everything I touch I am taking the time to find good deals and hardy plants :)


On the table I got a plant from Home Depot when I bought my vanity top. I can't for the life of me remember what it is called, but apparently the top is supposed to bloom so I am crossing my fingers that I get to see that. I do remember that is was a partial shade perennial so hopefully it will be around next year. I think it cost $11. I also got a small potted flower that likes full sun (Ranunculus) from the small grocery store near my work for $3. I wanted an orange one, but I picked this deep pink one because it still had two unbloomed buds and I hoped it would last a bit longer.



As for the big plant, I got that sucker for only $10 at Loblaws on Sunday! I went grocery shopping and I came across it and decided it HAD to come home with me. I don't know what it is called (I think it might be a yucca plant), but the tag said it is good for patios and porches so I think it will fair well on the balcony! It was pretty funny trying to fit it into my granny cart with my groceries, but it seemed to make it home ok. I might go back to Loblaws for another big plant.



There is still a lot to do out here! Dad is coming back this weekend to finish off the floor. Then I need to get some sort of coffee table/footstool out here (I have plans for that one!), restain the table, and buy/sew some seat cushions for the chairs. I also think I want to replace the white side table with something cuter (the top looks dirty because it has melted wax on it that I am too lazy to get off), but I am waiting to come across a good deal. And then of course some accessories- that big plant deserves a pretty pot!

11 comments:

  1. Loving the plants! They look so good out on your balcony and definitely help make it feel more luxurious. I hope you don't kill them all right away. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One may have already bit the bullet. Thankfully its just the cheaper flower!!

      Delete
  2. Looks WONDERFUL! I have a pretty green thumb - ask me stuff any time! xo Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Auntie Sheila! Maybe you can come over weekly to garden for me? haha

      Delete
  3. Love those grey chairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got them from Walmart! I really like them so far

      Delete
  4. Your balcony looks nothing like it did before, totally refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I cant believe I didnt get on this makeover sooner!

      Delete
  5. One word: Cactus. One of those that grow really big. Impossible to kill and looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as long as I get one that doesnt prick me. You know me, olga.

      Also I doubt Canada would let me import cactuses from mexico, but thanks for the offer!!!

      Delete
  6. Somehow I have managed to kill all the plants on our balcony. I think I need plastic. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover