Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Inspiration for a Tiny Home

Apartment Therapy is now in the finalist stages of it's Small, Cool 2013 Contest, in which contestants open up their homes for criticism and applause and then everyone votes on their favourites. I have dabbled in the thought of entering before, but I don't think I could take the criticism that may be left on my entry. I find the blogging world to be amazingly supportive and friendly- but the anonymous world of a major website? No thanksies.

However, I do LOVE reading the entries that come in because I so rarely see condos and apartments that are as small as mine. In fact, from the sizes of places I have seen during this contest, my place is PALATIAL! I find living in such a small home to be such a challenge because homes in magazines and TV shows are just so much bigger. I will see articles for "decorating a small home" and then laugh when I realize they are covering a space more than twice as large as mine!

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my small condo and how affordable it is when living on only one income (and when you are the type who loves to travel and go shopping!). But it does get discouraging feeling like I'm the only mini-home owner out there! Hence why I love the contest- it allows me to find all sorts of other tiny homes and compare what I have done to theirs (and compare layouts; the smallest wall change can make a huge difference in a micro-condo).

Here are some of my favourites from this year in the teeny-tiny category:
Amy: 175 sq ft
Tommy: 374 sq ft
Leslie: 300 sq ft
Bethany Kay: 305 sq ft
Nicole: 370 sq ft

I also LOVED this tiny puzzle of a home in the international category- could you live here?
Silvana- 165 sq ft

Do you follow the contest for inspiration? Have you ever entered??

5 comments:

  1. Wow! These spaces and super inspiring! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda love The Small cool contest, but I don't understand why there's an interational category - should they all grouped by size no matter if they're in the States or elsehwere?
    Anyways, I kinda want to enter it, but so far I've never thought that my place has been ready enough. Maybe next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya i know- since Im international id have to compete with larger homes and not just teeny ones

      Delete
  3. The Small Cool Contest is my favorite thing AT does! I thought about entering this year, but I still feel like I need to make some major edits to my place. Hopefully next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the small cool series from apartment therapy. Although our house is gargantuan compared to the homes featured in small/cool (1140sqft) it's on the lowly side as far as houses go, and storage can be conundrum at times, despite the extra square feet.

    I really love how all these spaces are really made to work beyond the minimum for function while maintaining form (style/aesthetic).

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover