Friday, January 8, 2016

Oodles of Zoodles!

I am not so big on making and keep New Year's resolutions, but around Christmastime I decided I needed to start eating more vegetables. I don't know why I am so bad at eating them, considering I actually like most veggies. I think it is just a mixture of being lazy and also preferring warm comfort foods (I'm not a huge fan of cooked vegetables).

For Christmas my Dad got me the spiralizer/peeler/corer attachment for my KitchenAid mixer so I decided to try and make zucchini noodles (zoodles) for dinner one night this week! The spiralizer was easy to set up and SO much fun to watch. I think I am going to start sprializing everything I eat.


I used 2 zucchinis for this recipe, which was enough for 2 big servings. Also, I realized after the first one to cut the zucchinis in half before spiralizing or I would have super long noodles to contend with! Once all the noodles were prepared I let them drain for 30 minutes in a strainer in the sink. Zucchini is full of water so drying them out helps with reducing water in your spaghetti. After 30 minutes I fried them for about 5-10 minutes with some salt and olive oil.


In another pan I browned some beef and then added 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce to the beef. I combined the two with ample amounts of parmesan in my bowl for dinner!

The verdict? I loved it! The noodles tasted pretty good- not to hard and not too soft or mushy- and blended well with the meat sauce. Most of the recipes I saw online were for lighter sauces, so I wasn't sure if meat sauce would taste good. I ate up my whole bowl! And I didn't find myself any hungrier than usual later that evening, even though I had skipped the pasta- the protein in the meat kept me satiated.



All in all, a successful mission to get more veggies in me and a new recipe to add to the menu around here! I know not everyone has a spiralizer at home to try this out, but you can replicate it by julienning the zucchini as well!

10 comments:

  1. That looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the plastic noodle maker, which I've never used.... I mostly only eat cooked veggies though, the raw ones make me a little ill... only I would be made sick by fruits and veggies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I had the same dinner last night, but with spaghetti squash! I tend to prefer the squash to zoodles, but I think because my zucchini always ends up so watery -- I need to take a cue from you and let it sit in a strainer for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. strainer seems to be key. They werent watery at all

      Delete
  4. I've been debating getting this attachment ever since I had a delicious salad made my zucchini noodle from Fresh. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking it is going to be a worthy investment. It can also peel and core!

      Delete
  5. I've been looking at trying this as an alternative to spaghetti squash because I'm not a fan of that. This looks really good! Definitely gonna give it a shot now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love zoodles! Well, in the one recipe we have tried them in. Basically, you just fry up sausages (cut small or use ground sausage), throw in some mushrooms and garlic and then add the zoodles at the end and serve with a tomato sauce. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try this! I have some turkey sausage in the fridge

      Delete
  7. I just bought my first spiralizer! So excited to use it!
    xx Annie
    http://www.somethingswellblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover