Thursday, June 28, 2012

Operation GLO

I am not an organized person. I may be more organized than the regular person, but I am a label maker short of calling myself a truly organized person. I think a lot of us are like that, we are organized in some ways, but in other parts of our lives we let things slide. Maybe you have a million social engagements, or you are doing some giant renovation and your home in shambles, or maybe your desk is so covered in paperwork that you lost your phone.



Back in my university days, I was generally on top of my school work, but once and awhile I would just feel the weight of the 16 chapters I needed to read in history class, and how I was 2 sections behind my statistics class and the big test was coming up! So I invented a simple technique I dubbed "GLO". And no, that doesn't mean Gym, Laundry, Organization, but it definitely can incorporate that!! It stands for Get Life in Order. I would tell my roommates I needed to "GLO" and I would shut my door or head to the library and work diligently for hours on end until I was caught up or even ahead!

When I started working, I found sometimes that I was drowning in paperwork, especially because we were sometimes short staffed. Once and while I would stay late and just power through so that I could sleep easy and relax the next day.

It sounds like such a simple concept, but how often do you write out a to-do list an sit your butt down and just get 'er done? In our day-to-day life we often mix chores with pleasure, but this concept is taking a whole day (or a large chunk of time) and just do chores. The point is just to get done all that stuff you have been putting off because you are lazy or don't enjoy it.

The thing is- it feels amazing when you are done. We all know that feeling of having NOTHING to do because you have worked your little butt off and it feels great. You suddenly can drop the guilt and just enjoy relaxing or spending time with family and friends. This will just make you a better person- you will be more outgoing and fun with no weight on your shoulders.

We have a long weekend coming up, and due to an appointment on Tuesday, I actually have a four day weekend. So I have decided that I am going to GLO this weekend. Friday-Sunday I will be at my brother's new house watching my favourite niece while they move. However, once I am home I am going to just get down to work and start the summer off right.

And to ensure I don't cheat, I am writing this on the blog!
To Do:
- Clean bathroom, including scrubbing the darn tub
- Micro clean all floors in the condo
- Go to Fabricland and fight off old ladies for the best fabrics before they go out of business
- Call all the companies to which I pay money every month and get on pre-authorized credit card payments. I don't know why I am paying each bill manually. It's silliness
- Get some stuff up for sale on Kijiji and Craigslist that has been sitting in the locker
- Clean out front hall closet because stuff has been creeping back in there
- Get some blog projects and posts done
- Brainstorm new projects
- Buy groceries and try some new recipes

I can do that all this weekend, can't I?? Anyone else need to GLO?

4 comments:

  1. I'm always trying to GLO but failing like clockwork. And this weekend I spend it all helping fix up the BF's grandmothers house. So much for GLO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats why you gotta go into isolation to GLO. no distractions! Though honestly, I will probably spend this weekend sunbathing. hahahahaha

      Delete
  2. This is the second blog I read this morning that is about organizing and lists!

    Love it =)

    I make a list of everything that I need to do and try to tackle a little bit each day, 15 minutes at a time.

    In fact, I'm drafting a blog post on my "GLO" strategy to share with my readers. I'm a huge list person so the biggest part of my GLO strategy is to write everything down, prioritize, then re-write in order of priority. Can't move on to the next one until I complete the task at hand! That way, if I run out of time, energy, or motivation the more important tasks are completed and the rest can wait till next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I were more like you I wouldnt need to GLO so often! My mom is a big list person, but for some reason I didnt inherit her listing skills

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover