Monday, February 15, 2016

Marathon Training; Week 5

Total kilometers run: 201.3km
This week: 46.4km

This week's runs:
Tuesday: 8.1km easy with sprints at end (6:53 min/km avg pace)
Thursday: 10.2km tempo (6:17 min/km avg pace)
Sunday: 6.5km easy (6:39 min/km avg pace)
Monday: 21.6km steady (6:27 min/km avg pace)

Sorry this post is going up so late in the day- but it is a long weekend here and I decided to push my Sunday long run to Monday to avoid the worst of a cold snap that hit Toronto. My Tuesday run was normal temps, but by Thursday the cold had come rolling in and I wore my running balaclava for the first time. I found it rather uncomfortable to breathe in when I was running into the wind, yet too warm when the wind was at my back! Actually, it was so cold that night that my phone died too. I was supposed to run a set of intervals, but when I lost my app I just kind of winged it and did a 10K tempo run. Despite the cold and the uncomfortable face mask, I did well!

Saturday I woke up full of beans, and really wished I could have run, but it was -30 degrees with the windchill and my left leg was sort of tired and sore and needed a break. I was so restless all day though! Sunday I finally bounded out the door for my 6.5K easy run, but the leg honestly wasn't better and neither was the weather (that sorta rhymed). It was a frosty -30 again, but sunny and not too windy and I just bundled on up, wearing two pairs of pants, a long sleeve shirt, a sweater, a wind breaker, a buff, my headband for my ears, and then the balaclava. I am starting to realize there isn't much that is actual bad weather, just bad clothing choices. It is good to wear thin layers to keep the sweat and body heat contained (exposed sweat on a freezing day is no bueno...brrr) And you need to keep moving to keep warm. Here is a lovely selfie when that run was over- ha! I honestly was quite comfortable! And the balaclava was much more comfortable this time...perhaps I hadn't put it on properly before. Though more likely, it literally just froze in place. 



On Monday I had 20.9km scheduled, but I decided to go 21.1km instead to make it a neat half marathon. It says I did 21.6km because my watch got a little confused downtown. I may have to shift where I wear it! It was a good run- I went over to the Don Valley and up along the paved trails for a 10.5km out and back. The trails aren't maintained during the winter, but with our rather mild winter this year there was little snow and ice to contend with. It was a nice run! Luckily this week is back to normalish temperatures! And it is a low-mileage week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover