Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Kayaking the Islands!

If you recall, last summer I went canoeing with Cam around the Toronto Islands. My friend Jeni mentioned she would love to do that as well some time, so I booked us a tandem kayak for her birthday this year! Now, her birthday was about 6 weeks ago, but due to scheduling and one raincheck, we didn't get a chance to go until last weekend- but it was worth the wait!


The weather was absolutely perfect- we have had quite a warm start to fall and the Saturday we went was 18 degrees and 100% sunny- super comfortable for getting our kayak on! Also, the winds weren't too bad to crossing the channel to the islands was smooth sailing.



We had a great time out on the water from about 10:00am to 4:30pm. We went all around the islands, stopped in at the little boat-access-only beach for a snack break, and we beached our kayak on Centre Island and had lunch on the patio of the Carousel Restaurant (which, by the way, is my favourite island restaurant for a decent lunch and a cold beer!).



I seriously can't say enough good things about the Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre, where we rented our kayak. This is the second time I booked with them and their customer service is great. We had originally planned to go a couple of weeks ago but the forecast was thunderstorms. The day before the rental place called AND emailed to let me know that they had already made the call not to do rentals that day and offered to reschedule us or completely refund us!


Oh- and I know you can rent canoes and kayaks on the island itself, but the island rental place is a little more expensive (not to mention the $15 for two people on the ferry to the island) and crossing the channel is so fun because you are right by the airport and planes take off right over your head! Oh- and we saw a blimp!


I seriously recommend any visitors to Toronto spend a day at the islands- either by boat or on foot! It is a little oasis from the city! And don't be afraid of the kayak either- I had very limited experience in one and Jeni had never been in one- and we did just fine! Much less tippy than a canoe!!


Thank you Jeni for the fun date!! It was such a nice way to close out the summer!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE visiting the islands, and this is such a unique way to do it! I had no idea you could cross the channel in a kayak. Kind of terrifying, but exciting at the same time. I will definitely be keeping this activity in mind for next summer.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover