Saturday, July 14, 2012

Anthralin Update

I thought I would do a quick update on my Anthralin treatment because I am almost a week in and I am definitely feeling the effects of this! The treatment causes redness and rashes where applied. That part has been ok- I am reacting to the treatment (which is good!), but my reaction is not severe, so I can stay on schedule and keep up the treatment as prescribed. For the first two weeks, I only apply to one small area of my head in case I get a bad reaction. So right now I have this one UGLY spot on my head, because this stuff stains!!

I didn't take any before pictures, but imagine normal skin. Now I have this:

Anthralin Treatment- week 1

It looks SO much worse in person! I can't imagine how silly my head will look after months of applying this stain to my entire scalp.

Also, the tub of Anthralin is HUGE. 500 ml. That is a PINT. Note: not as delicious as a pint of Ben & Jerry's.


So I thought I would compile a how-to list for anyone trying this treatment.

In advance: Buy Head & Shoulders, disposable gloves, a cheap pillow case and towel, and Magic Erasers.

Hang a calendar on your bathroom wall. This treatment requires varying lengths of time for application, so I moved my calendar into the bathroom to make sure I properly apply. And yes, I screwed up the 3rd and 4th weeks. haha


Set up your "cleaning station" in the shower. You will need Head & Shoulders to wash off with and a cloth and magic eraser to clean up any cream that touches the shower. Remember- it stains! It wipes easily off tile and the tub, but I do have some spots on my grout I can't seem to budge.


Use pillow cases and towels you don't mind ruining. Also, be careful with clothing around it. I just plan on using the same pillow case for the next few months and washing it every few days. I also don't care too much about this one towel, so it is my "head" towel. I use a regular towel for my body.

This is WASHED
Ok, now onto application. I will give a step-by-step, but I am still working out the kinks.

1. Remove all clothing that goes over the head so you can easily jump in the shower
2. Put on one glove and rub a small amount into scalp. It does not need to be thick- just cover well
3. Run glove under water and wash it off as best as possible. Carefully remove (don't turn inside out because we are reusing!). Put glove in cleaning bowl in shower so it doesn't mess up sink
4. Set timer for required time
5. Hang out, watch TV, dance like a fool
6. When timer goes off, put on glove again
7. Wipe off head with a tissue and dispose of it. This is a recent step I learned to help stop the problem of the cream getting everywhere when I wash it off
8. Get into shower (can't find a way around this!) and wash head/hair with head and shoulders. Work in well and scrub 'er clean!
9. Rinse and use magic eraser to give shower a quick once over. Turn off shower or just wash yourself too while you're in there
10. Remove glove and throw out
11. Dry off head with designated "head towel". Wipe off body with nicer towel
12. You are done!

Further tips:
13. Avoid direct sunlight- I plan on getting a swimming cap for the beach this summer
14. I am planning on using Vaseline if the itching gets really bad. My treatment is made by mixing the drug with Vaseline, so I know it won't interact. I got a small tub, which I keep in my purse. Luckily I haven't had to bust it out yet- I have only had minor itching.

Be sure to clean your pillow case and towel often. I somehow got cream on the side of my face and it turned red (such a lovely look). I am not sure if it got there during the shower, or just from the pillowcase!

If you are also doing this treatment and found me here- please leave me a note and let me know how it is going for you!! And please share tips!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Casey, send me a message...what exactly does this DO? Or is supposed to do? xo Sheila (from Hawaii)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover