Monday, January 21, 2013

Organizing the Hidden Storage

A big thing you hear when you buy a tiny condo like mine is "find furniture with storage!" And I followed this very closely when buying stuff for my condo. But now I need to say ENOUGH! Because you know what, having tons of places to hide the mess just means you have a lot of hidden mess. Of course I need some storage, but what I probably need is less stuff!

I spent Sunday going through a few of my storage spots at home and then I even spent awhile tearing everything out of my childhood closet at my moms (which was way more fun because of all the awesome old photos and treasures I found). So I think this means that even those of us with more space still find places to hide mess!

I wasn't home much this weekend, but I did manage to quickly sort through and organize two areas: my fabric drawer in the TV stand, and my ottoman!

I don't have any before pictures (just imagine a big ol mess), but now they are nice and neat!




I took all my fabric scraps and I rolled them up and secured with a piece of twine! Now no more digging for a piece and I can fit SO much more in the drawer. It used to barely close! For the ottoman I actually just folded the spare sheets and blankets and then I added in my box of knitting stuff (under the paper) and my DVD folder. I used to keep my books in here, but now that I have bookshelves I could store other stuff!

I still have so much more to organize! I need to tackle the other two drawers in the TV stand, the 6 drawers in my table, the medicine cabinet, and my darn front closet (and the locker, which always seems to collect random stuff). So much to do but I just need to take it one small drawer at a time!

Have you been organization those storage spots too??

13 comments:

  1. I really need to work on my organizing skills. The problem with owning a house, there are way too many places to spread things out and keep them out of sight!

    I love your cute little material drawer now, the twine is a perfect touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. going through all that fabric also made me want to sew again! Im gonna be busy pinning for a few days

      Delete
  2. Love the twine idea---will plan on using it on my fabric scraps, too. Love the shelves with the items on them also. One question: I have some trouble getting your blog to come in. It keeps being all "herky jerky" in how it scrolls down, plus many times it just says it won't load and I have to hit the "recover the blog" place and it stil won't recover. Any thoughts on that for me? (I don't have that issue with any of the other DIY blogs I follow.....some of the same ones you follow, too.) Keep us the good work up there; good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm I dont know! I use low res photos (I export them for Web use from lightroom) so I dont think its that? Also, Blogger keeps marking only your comments as spam and I dont know why. I dont think my blog likes you and I dont know why :(

      Ill google around and see what i can find

      Delete
    2. I agree that the "buy furniture with built-in storage" is a double-edged sword. So good to have storage, but when you end up with a jumbled hoarder mess, maybe it would be better not to have it! I definitely need less stuff. But instead of getting rid of things, I just bought a couch! (1920s vintage, purple velvet, on clearance at a thrift store, I couldn't pass it up... that's understandable, right?!) But I've vowed to get rid of A TON of craft supplies and one of the 4-drawer units I store them in (I have 2 and they're huge), and really go through the stuff under my bed!

      Delete
    3. I should mention that by "you" I meant it in a general sense, or maybe more like "I".

      Delete
    4. I am totally a jumbled hoarder mess, so no offense taken ;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks.....that's weird as I've never had that issue with any other blog (here in the states). I don't comment very often on any blog but it always happens when I just read your blog. Sorry for the trouble and hope it can be figured out. (Sometimes I have had to just give up in trying to view your blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know! it feels like my blog doesnt like u :( but I like u!! ill see what I can figure out

      Delete
    2. Have you tried a different browser?

      Delete
    3. Me again! send me an email to caseyinto@gmail.com. Twitter peeps are giving me a bunch of suggestions

      Delete
  4. I am in love with your storage ottoman. I'm getting builders itch :O
    I'm a completely disorganized mess, our house has absolutely zero storage (one closet with no doors.. awesome) so 2013 is the year of storage and organization, which means getting rid of a bunch of junk too.
    Love how you re-organized your fabric. I've got to go through my stash and get it under control as it is currently overflowing one of those giant blue rubbermaid containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martina! The ottoman is one of those black $100 ones from Home Outfitters and I just recovered it!

      and yikes. even my one closet has a door!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover