Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Shadowboxing!

If you're looking for instructions on throwing some punches (lol- shadowboxing), you need to look elsewhere. This post is about a fast project I did!

Sometimes I do my blog projects well ahead of time so I can relax in the evenings. And sometimes I go to the spa and get an amazing massage and a shellac manicure (OMG- I am a shellac girl for life now! Well, for the two manicures I get every year) and then I come home and realize I have nothing to blog about because I have been too busy getting pampered. :P

So last night that sort of situation came up, but I was inspired to put together a quick project and not be a lazy blogger! I decided to tackle this shadow box that has been sitting in my front hall for ages and frankly...wasn't cutting it.


When I bought it I threw in a bunch of photos of friends, but they really aren't the best photos and I already had cute pictures of my friends up around the condo so I decided to nix them (sorry guys) and just throw a bunch of cute stuff in there instead! Oh, and I wasn't gonna spend any money either!

First, I painted the background this pretty pale turquoise. It is called "Surfside" by CIL and I happened to have a sample pot of it on hand.


And then I made a fun fabric flower using this tutorial from Ruffles and Stuff. It ended up being a bit too big and got squished by the glass, but I still really like it! I then got a free inspirational quote, made by Ali Edwards and available for download from Paper Coterie.

Lastly, I added in a band of fabric and some adorable fortune cookies fortunes that I had saved! This is kind of my "motivational" shadow box that greets me as I enter and leave the condo now.

Except the two fortunes are:
"A good way to stay healthy is to eat more chinese food"

and

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Wonton or Dumpling?"

Honest. To. God.

I loves them.




Everything is just pinned in place so I can always switch it up!

I love how it now ties into the turquoise art above it more. It's like springtime over here! That also helps because it is minus 5 billion outside this week :)


Anyone else throwing together any last minute projects? What about finding any hilarious fortune cookies?

6 comments:

  1. Fun quick project! I also love how you saved money and used things you had on hand. I really need to get to work on doing some small projects, my blog is lacking in them lately.

    And I agree that this weather sucks. I want to go to your springtime corner. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you guys get snow this morning? It was a blizzard downtown and like -20. I want spring!!

      Delete
  2. The other day my fortune said something about how I would meet an alien of some sort soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it'll be the illegal immigrant kind or the outerspace kind?

      Delete
  3. Now my face isn't in your apartment! Boo :(

    ;)

    Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover