Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Bikini So Teeny

I don't know if I have ever actually spoken about my upcoming trip on the blog. Probably because it sounds like bragging...but I WON a trip! Last winter I was at a bridal show and the bride and I entered our names in a bunch of draws for free things. I didn't think much about it (I always assume those things are to get your information), but about a month later my phone rings and it is this person from Flight Centre, a major travel agent, saying I WON a trip for two to an all inclusive resort.

I seriously thought it was fake- I get a lot of calls about "winning" cruises and such. But she soon convinced me she was for real by being able to place me at the bridal show and she had all my information! I was simply flabbergasted.

I, of course, asked the bride to come on the trip with me (I wouldn't have won it without her!), but the trip had to be taken by the end of October and she just couldn't get the time off with her honeymoon around the same time. So I asked my sister in law and she said yes!!! I am so excited for us to have a whole week to bond over pina coladas and sunshine. She never really got a bachelorette party before their wedding, so we are calling this her belated party.

This will be my third trip to an all-inclusive. My first was in high school to the Dominican, and I went to Cuba with a friend in early 2011. I loooove lying on the beach all day and I would go to an all-inclusive every year if I could!

Me in Cuba
I was given a choice between a bunch of resorts in a few different countries, but we went with JAMAICA!! I have never been to Jamaica before and we are super pumped because we keep hearing nice things about our resort and the excursions we are planning (we are in Runaway Bay, so Dunns River Falls is on the list!).

Anyway, as exciting as this all is, there were of course practical things to take care of- I needed a new strapless bikini for working on my tannage (I always wear sunscreen, but I burn a bit no matter what). I have a permanent X on my back from Alapulco last fall, and I don't want a repeat!

In Acapulco, before that bikini burned into my back
 I headed to Walmart to pick up a nice cheap one, since I own a lot of bathing suits and couldn't justify spending a lot on a new one. I found a great black one for $18 (oh how I love thee, Walmart), but the top was a little loose around the ribs. And that is just not a good thing if you don't have straps.

I was determined to make it work!

I took a look at the clasp and decided it would be easier to take in the side with the gold clasp, rather than the loop side, because the fabric tapers to the end and if I just folded and sewed a new loop it would be too wide for the clasp. Ideally, you would want to take in both sides so that the clap remained at the centre of your back- but I am a rebel without a cause.


First thing I did was remove the clasp by taking my stitch ripper to the seam. It put up quite a battle! Seriously, that clasp was going no where fast.


Then I sewed it back on, but pulled the end of the fabric in about an inch so that it was shorter.


Then ta-da! I was done! The clasp is only about an inch off so it is not very noticeable that it slightly off (right? right.).


I am ready for Jamaica now!!! I can't wait to go!! And I am sure you all can't wait to see my 1000 photos when I return :)

15 comments:

  1. How AWESOME! Nothing better than a free vacation :) you're going to have a blast I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I want to win a trip!!!

    Jamaica is awesome and Dunn's River Falls was a blast. I can't wait to hear all about it and see you million pictures. What other excursions will you be going on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far that is the only one, but since it is a free trip, we figure we will fork out for a few fun things at the resort!

      Delete
  3. Yahooo! Have fun you two!! xo Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! You're going to have a great time.
    My aunts & uncles go all-inclusive to Jamaica all the time and they love it! Especially when the staff sing the Big Bamboo song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome! Congrats on winning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaah! Jealous! I would totally be like you... I think if someone called me and told me I had WON a trip, I wouldn't believe them, even if I had entered a contest!

    Have LOTS of fun! Can't wait to see all your pictures when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh ya, I get a weekly call at work from "my captain" that I have won a cruise. At this rate I should be on a cruise year round!! haha

      Delete
  7. That's awesome!! Are you that type of person who ALWAYS wins things??!
    I have never been to an all-inclusive anything bur one day!! haha

    Im sure you will have a ton of fun!! and great job on fixing your swim suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! Im definitely NOT. I won a basket in a draw a couple years ago and I thought I had peaked. I also won $5 in the lottery 6 months ago...

      Delete
  8. AHHHH!!! So Jealous!!! But you deserve a break after all your MOH duties!! Enjoy it girl!!! *Jenna*

    ReplyDelete
  9. THAT IS SO AMAZING! I am so jealous! :)

    You are going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover