Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why I Chose Not To Get a Murphy Bed

When I bought this ridiculously tiny condo 3 years, a lot of people told me to get a Murphy Bed system (or hide-a-bed, or wall-bed...whatever you want to call it). I actually considered it myself, and shopped around for some ideas/prices.

One of the major early factors in my choice not to get one was the price! A lot of the systems I found were $2000! Plus the majority of Murphy Bed systems are based on a vertical system, but I would need a horizontal style so my bed could fold up on its side- that narrowed my store-bought options. And then I considered a DIY option, but I have cement walls. Anchoring a bed to a cement wall? Yikes.

And even then, I just didn't find it practical for my lifestyle. I couldn't fathom a time where I would need to roll up my bed to wall to regain the 24 sq ft hiding under it. My bed actually provides extra seating during my very few get-togethers and I use the area beneath it for storage! (I actually had the same thoughts on futons, daybeds, and sofs beds- I would rarely transform it to the non-bed option because I entertain here infrequently). I feel very lucky to be able to fit my bed into the condo without needing to store it anywhere when I have guests.

That being said, I do see the appeal of putting one in a office or guest room where it will not be used as an every day bed. I also love how neat they are and how many options there are on the market for a unique look!

So let's all enjoy some Murphy Bed eye candy!
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
And last, but not least:
Via
Have you ever used a Murphy Bed? Or even own one?

PS- Happy Valentine's Day! I will be spending today at my friend's house, eating junk food and having fun! I hope you have fun as well!

2 comments:

  1. A few years ago I lived in a 100-year-old studio with the most ingenious thing ever. It had a bed that rolled out from under the floor of the walk-in closet. During the day it just looked like a regular built-in. Of course, I had this amazing vintage bedframe that I refused to not use, and so I just used it for storage. But it stored a LOT of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! I saw something like that once with a platform floor and the bed pulled out.

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover