Thursday, February 20, 2014

Werk It- Getting Healthy in 2014

I have spoken many times on here about my running and eating healthy, but I have spoke very little about my weight. Why do girls do this? Why are we so afraid of a number when bodies are built so differently that being 200lbs or 100lbs can look crazy different depending on your build. Check out this website- www.mybodygallery.com- and you can search for your height and weight...and see SO many various body shapes. (Caution- some women are in their undies!)

Here are my stats as of right now, because I refuse to be ashamed of my wonderful body
Height: 5'7
Weight: 165 (I am usually 160. Not sure if the 5lbs is bloating or the giant bag of cookies I ate this week)
BMI: 25.8 (slightly overweight)
Bust: 38.5"
Waist (natural): 32.5"
Waist (bellybutton): 39"
Hips/Butt: 40"

I am never sure whether to go with my natural waist or bellybutton, but obviously my tummy is sticking out tonight so I am going to be honest and include both numbers!

PS- holy moly it was hard to find a picture of me in a bikini- I guess I am usually behind the camera? I was going to take a true "before" photo, but I'm in my jammies already so screw that...

Now, I consider myself fairly fit. I started working out regularly a year ago and while the scale hasn't changed, I find my body feels sexier. I feel stronger, taller, and less flabby. I usually run, but for the past couple weeks I have been doing the 30 Day Shred workout DVD and it is killing me so I haven't run much since I started that! But man am I getting strong fast- hello 10 push ups in a row! If you are thinking of starting working out let me tell you this:

I have been working out fairly regularly for a year and only NOW do I crave it and enjoy it. It takes a darn long time to make a habit of it but it sooo worth it. I have never felt better.

So there. The ugly truth. It ain't easy. Keep at it. Exercise gets better.

I have the regular exercise down now, but I need to work on my diet. Oh my goodness does my diet ever derail me (see note above about bag of cookies). I have two theories about dieting
1) Go hardcore and lose the weight fast, then switch to a maintenance diet
2) Eat healthy with some treats but take longer to lose

I tend to go more with option 2, which leads to me staying around 160lbs. (170lbs was my highest weight in Fall 2011 and I worked hard to lose those 10lbs and I have kept them mostly off). I think I need to work harder at number 1 and then move to number 2 after a few weeks so I can establish a habit of veggies and lean meats.

Point of this rambling post? I want to drop some weight. I want to be more securely into a normal BMI range because I know it will get harder to not gain weight as I get older. I need to take this beautiful, strong, body that I have been given and make the best of it! I am giving myself until June 1st to get down to 150lbs. That is 15lbs and about 15 weeks...soooo a pound a week! Definitely not an easy goal, but totally attainable.

This is from 2011. Probably look the same now minus the sunburned legs!
How do I intend to do this?
1) Keep working out! Finish my 30 Day Shred and then get back into cardio while still doing the odd Shred workout for strength maintenance
2) Calorie counting. The MyFitnessPal app says I need about 1370 calories a day to lose a pound a week so I am going to try to stick to that and add a bit more on tough workout days
3) Meal Planning. I have never done this before, but I know that by planning ahead I can plan for meals that fill me, taste delish, and allow for treats (hello- patio season approaches!)
4) Being accountable to someone, even if it is the internet. I am going to check in here once a week and give a quick update on my progress!

I want to end this post with a note- I am very comfortable with my body and I consider myself confident in my appearance. I know clothing can make a huge difference and I try to dress in a way that flatters my body. I also have learned things about my body- like carbonation makes me bloat so I don't drink pop if I need to look fabulous for a date or party. I think it is important for people to not hate their bodies- bodies do such amazing things!! I just want to treat my body right by making sure it is healthy. I know I would do better at my running and feel better day to day if I fueled my body better and got down to a bit healthier weight.

I might never look amazing in a bikini- but I want to feel amazing in my skin.

PS- This song has me wanting to hit the gym right now!!

Play Hard- David Guetta feat. Ne-Yo



12 comments:

  1. Love it! You are inspiring me to do better with exercise and healthy eating. I always feel so motivated for like a week and then give up. I'm excited to cheer you on and help keep you accountable, so keep checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude towards your body. <3 Especially as girls, I find we're so hard on ourselves. Good luck on your goals, I'll be here cheering you on for sure! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You GO girl! I'm so proud of you for feeling SO good in your own skin (very tough for women!) and for staying fit and healthy! As you well know, your Mom and Helen and I have always worked hard at this! SO proud of you! xo Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this post!!! I've been using MyFitnessPal now for the last 2 weeks and the first 2 days were a real eye opener! I was eating almost 1800 calories a day! My goal for calories is similar to yours.

    I need to pull out my DVD of the 30DayShred!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fairly certain I eat more the 1800 cals! I probably eat that in cookies alone

      Delete
    2. I forgot to write you can add me as a friend - maybe it will motivate us more! DanicaK1979

      Delete
  5. Two thumbs up to this post! And that website is really interesting. I will always ALWAYS weigh a lot because I am tall and just generally big, and it took me a long time to accept that. I will probably never be under 150lbs, and that is okay. I weigh a lot more than I think people would expect me to. But I find I am a lot less concerned with the number on the scale and would prefer to go by how I look, feel, and how my clothes fit. There's no hiding not working out, if you go to the gym it shows. So while I am always around the same weight, when I am working out on the regular (running + weights) there is a crazy noticeable difference in my body, especially in my limbs.

    Also, feel you on Theory 2. Some crazy diet will not work for me. Slow but steady!

    Anyway, I think you look great...and I also think that we need to be gym buddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the weather is nicer lets plan a workout date!

      Delete
  6. Your post has inspired me! I've wanted to get back to the gym even though I hate it and I've been having such a hard time staying consistent, plus I keep getting colds, which really just makes me want to go to bed with ginger ale. I'm not one for diets, I just want to be in better shape, maybe learn to run (runners seem so happy). Ok, now I'm rambling! Best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exercise will probably help prevent colds! But I hate gymming when I am sick too :(

      Delete
  7. Good on you for being so honest about your weight! Thanks for sharing the website too! It's nice to see how differently shaped we all are, even at the same height and weight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! I used MyFitnessPal last year and it helped me SO MUCH! Now I use nothing... but I'm doing a 30 day cleanse, so that has a lot to do with it. You look fantastic, but I totally get the feeling great in your own skin thing :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover