Thursday, November 1, 2012

Felt Flower Magnets

In advance of this post, I would just like to mention that I am still at a complete loss on how to take photos in artificial yellow light. And apparently white balancing in photoshop later. These photos just suck. hahaha

So this weekend has been long and tiring. On Monday and Tuesday I was at the Ontario Tax Conference, which meant getting up at 5:30am so I could leave by 6:00am. And then I was going to the office afterwards, meaning I got home after 7:00pm both days and rushed to write some posts, eat food, and shower, before crashing into bed again. So I am just TIRED.

I wanted to get some projects done on the condo this week, but obviously I am too tired/strapped for time to bother doing anything. And I was away all weekend so I lost all the good light. Today I had some thoughts on what I would write about...and then I thought of a fun little project to do!

See, I have a lot of appointments with various doctors/dentists all over my fridge, along with photos of some beautiful babies that family has be giving me, and I have run out of magnets. Plus I am cheap and every time I go to buy magnets I talk myself out of it. Today I decided to make some!

Last month I made a wreath and with that I made some small felt flowers to decorate it. So why not make felt flower magnets??

Genius.

As luck would have it, I happened to have just bought a lifetime supply of felt for another project I want to do!


And I knew I had some magnets from years ago, but they did take me forever to find and I almost had to give up on this project! Plus I also had glue gun glue. Woohoo for projects that you don't need to buy anything for!

First, I cut my felt into circles:

They do not have to be perfect. In fact, your flowers look a bit more charming if they are imperfectly cut. I did end up choosing to do 3 big ones and 3 small ones later, so I cut 3 of the circles down to about half this size.

Then I cut a circle in a spiral pattern:

After this, you just roll up the spiral, keeping the edge you cut to make the spiral even (this will be the base of the flower). Secure with a dab of glue on the bottom.


Next, you just need to glue a piece of magnet on and you are done!


Ta-da! New magnets!!

This project took me about 15 minutes. And if I remember correctly, I bought the magnets and glue at the dollar store, and sheets of felt at 50 cents at the craft store (one sheet can do one big and two small in one colour) so this entire project can be done for $3. Way better than buying boring magnets for double that price!

Now I just need to go back this weekend and take nicer photos in nicer light. Except I am gone this weekend too. Sigh. Come back summer?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, summer needs to come back but I love these felt flower magnets, true DIY and really look simple yet perfect for the refrigerator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. they are so easy too! lots of tutorials on pinterest too

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover