Monday, May 6, 2013

Weekend in the Sun

Sigh, Monday again! Did you guys have a good Cinco De Mayo? There was no tequila drinking for me, but I did go out and enjoy the hot weather!

The weather this weekend was sooo beautiful! It was 20 degrees and sunny and I was so excited to get out and about! On Saturday my friend Sarah and I made plans to bike out to the Beaches area of Toronto. I actually woke up pretty early for me (8:00am) and went for a run down by the water before meeting her. We met with our bikes down at Sugar Beach, which in an of itself was very nice. Why have I never been to these parts of the city before? Sugar Beach and HTO park (HTO is within walking distance of my condo) are these adorable urban beaches. You can't go in the water, but they are great for sitting out and getting some sun! Of course, I am more prone to sitting on the rooftop of my condo if I want to relax in the sun!

Sugar Beach
Now, Toronto does have real beaches with water and sand and all that normal stuff. Our general direction on Saturday was in that direction, but we planned just to get lunch out there and head back. The water is way too cold to be interested in beaching this early in the year! We kind of took whatever roads we felt like and ended up in Leslieville, which is apparently 8km from my condo. Not bad! Sarah had low air in her tires so we filled em up at a Canadian Tire (For free! We thought that was nice) and then went in search on lunch on Queen St. We ended up going to Rakia Bar and it was really nice- we both had french toast. mmm. Then with our bellies full we biked down Lakeshore (which has great bike lanes!) and ended up back home in time for a well deserved lunch. Such a nice Saturday!

Sunday was more laid back for me. I worked on a sewing project for my Dad (just some quick chair cushions) and then went grocery shopping. I wanted to go shopping in the morning, but a marathon was blocking my path and I had to wait for the afternoon! I always enjoy walking to the grocery store in the sun- it is such a nice walk up to Queen St! After lunch I did some stretching and went for another short run by the waterfront again. My first 10K race is on Sunday and I am getting so nervous for how I will do! I have tried train, but lately I have had terrible calf pains that sidelined me for a week, which then seemed to have put me out of shape. Sigh. So now I am just doing short runs so that my legs don't get pains again. I would rather run my race slowly than not be able to run it at all due to muscle tears!

Tonight I am hoping to go see the Cherry Blossoms at High Park! I hope it isn't too crowded!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a good weekend! :) It was a gorgeous 27 degrees in Ottawa. Now if only it could stay this weather all summer long!

    That sucks about your legs. Is it your calves or your shins? Load up on the potassium before Sunday... It may help will the muscle soreness. :)
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/412033-muscle-pain-due-to-low-potassium/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh 27?! it was a bit cooler here (thank goodness since I was out so much in the sun!).
      Thanks for the potassium tip! Im off to eat a whole whack of bananas now!! it is in my calves, not my shins so its definitely muscle-related

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a great weekend. And I'm totally jealous of the biking and beaching and lunching with Sarah. I'm sure you guys had fun though.

    And boo to the calf pains and being sidelined for a week. I'm planning on going for my first run tonight since the shin splints benched me a over a week ago. I'm slightly terrified of how out of shape I will be. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just take it slow and stop if the pain comes back

      Delete
  3. Two lunches on Saturday??
    I have one more training run on Wednesday and hope to be in good shape for Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I shall just call them brunch and lunch :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover