Wednesday, April 17, 2013

10K Update and Running Playlist!

Ok, I feel like I give a lot of updates on my running. But I try to write something on here every day and honestly some weeks are just really busy. Between work, running, and social commitments I feel quite beat in the evenings I have free! It will only get worse as the summer gets on- I already have over half of my weekends booked from June-August! It is all good fun stuff (besides the wisdom tooth removal), so I don't mind too much. It is just hard to find a good work/life/blog balance.

So sometimes posts will be non-effort ones like my running update! If you follow me on twitter, or you are a friend of mine, or you live within yelling distance of my condo, you would know that I ran 10km in 1 hour last Friday! That is my GOAL for the Sporting Life 10K and now I know that I am physically capable of doing it!! I just need to keep running to make sure that hitting that goal is more consistent and that I can do it on real roads (it was raining on Friday so this was a treadmill run). Luckily it is starting to warm up and in between the ridiculous amount of rain we have been getting I hope to get in many outdoor runs. Less than a month left until the race!!

I usually only run with while listening to music but my Ipod touch has a broken screen (there is no backlight so its hard to see the screen). I also have an Ipod shuffle, which is better suited to running, but there is no clock so I can't effectively time my runs. My friend just gave me her old Ipod touch (earlier version than my current one, but hey- it works!) so hopefully I will have functioning music with a clock again soon enough! I just need to charge and load it.

Anywho, I am a big music-listening-while-running person so I thought I would share my current running playlist! I change it up often, but some of these songs have been on the list for years. If you are hoping to start exercising this Spring I hope that some of these songs can get you pumped! If you don't like my tastes, I advise you to find songs with a great beat; it will keep your legs in rhythm!

1. Girl on Fire by Rihanna ft. Nicki Minaj
I love this song, but it is a tad slow so it is better for slower miles or warm up/cool down

2. You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth by Meatloaf
I have always loved Meatloaf (though I prefer my cd version intro over the video one). This song is also great because it is almost exactly 5 minutes and that is great when doing 5 minute intervals!

3. Bleed It Out- Linkin Park
This song has been on my list forever- it has a great beat and it pushes me to work hard.

4. Born This Way by Lady Gaga
This song makes a bald lady feel good! Good beat too

5. Don't Stop Me Now by Queen
Great beat and a great message when you are trying really hard.

6. I Run For Life by Melissa Etheridge
This song was technically written about breast cancer and the Run for the Cure, but it is a great song for running in general and it usually pumps me up when I am training for the Terry Fox Run.

7. Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus
Ok, I know Miley is a polarizing celeb, but I just love this song. I first heard it the day I moved into my condo (it played a LOT on the radio when I was stuck in traffic during multiple trips) so it always gives me an excited feeling when I hear it, because it reminds me of that day!

8. Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO 
Just a good beat!

9. Sexy and I Know It by LMFAO
This video is probably Not Safe For Work (NSFW). I love to run to this song and makes me think about how good I look when I am running versus after eating a giant plate of pad thai (ahem, like right now).

10. Push Push by Kat DeLuna
I love this song for running because I pretend it is about pushing hard when running.

11. Rock That Body by Black Eyed Peas
I guess I just like the beat on this? It's been on the list for awhile.

12. Carry On by Fun.
This is a slower song, so maybe better for slower runs, but I am just in love with it right now.

13. The Time by Black Eyed Peas
This song reminds me of my trip to Cuba in 2011 because they kept playing it at clubs! Therefore it makes me feel like dancing, so I keep moving.

14. Stronger by Kelly Clarkson
 Amazing song when you feel like giving up! I always skip to this one if I know I need a pick me up. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

15. Sometime Around Midnight- Airborne Toxic Event
It is a little slow to get going, but I really enjoy the beat on this one. And the song is kind of fun too :)

16. Thrift Shop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
What's not to love with this recent hit? Has a pretty good beat but I am not sure the energy is quite there for running so it may not last.

17. C'mon C'mon by Spice Girls
Sadly this song is only a minute and a half long, but every time it comes on I want to SPRINT! It just pumps me up.

18. Barbara Streisand by Duck Sauce
Yes, this song can get annoying, but the beat is perfect for my running pace. It usually comes on when I am beyond actually listening to what is playing. haha

19. Tonight I'm Loving You by Enrique Iglesias
Confession- the version on my Ipod is the R rated version! Great rhythm for running.

20. Don't Stop Believing by Journey
Hello? It's Journey. I don't think my reason for liking this song needs an explanation ;)

21. Feel this Moment by Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera
A little slow at times, but I like this song and I like the message when I need a moment to remember why I am doing this!

Got any new songs for me? I looove to switch it up and get some new ones!

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, I am with you on running playlists...they need to be fun and a good beat--I think I listen to Bon Jovi like every other day when running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need some Beyonce in there. Crazy in Love is one of my favourites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good call. There is a serious lack of Beyonce on my ipod right now

      Delete
  3. Anything with a good fast pace is usually my go-to (oh hello dancy alt-electro-funk-shui) 10km in under 1hr!? You are officially my hero. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trust me- i was as shocked as you! I felt like dying the last 20 minutes of it so I still have more work to do. But it was pretty awesome to hit my goal

      Delete
  4. I have to start running again.
    The weather is finally on my side.
    I went a couple times in the cold but my long pants are too big and I literally had to hike them up every minute while I jogged.
    so now that it is capri weather, no excuses!!
    well, except the kiddies...but I can run on the weekends or when my husband gets home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I tried running in my favourite workout capris and they kept falling down. I have finally figured out that my body type needs a drawstring when running. Except it is so hard to find good running capris that have one!!

      Delete
  5. Go you! I'm so impressed that you ran 10km in an hour! And I like your playlist. I think I need to work on mine, I just threw some random songs on the first time I went and haven't gotten around to adding more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I'm looking forward to being able to run again. I recommend Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People as a good running song! It still makes me think of running whenever I hear it.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover