Thursday, April 4, 2013

Free Wheelin'

I am considering buying a bike. Scratch that- I am buying a bike. I am just considering buying this one:


This is the Schwinn Hydra Women's 700C Hybrid Bike on sale right now at Canadian Tire. I really do not know much about bikes, except that hybrid bikes are best for city riding, so that is what I am going with! Plus this bike has tons of great reviews and hopefully won't fail me.

I have been considering getting a bike ever since I moved downtown in 2009, especially when I worked only a 30 minute walk away! I thought a bike would mean an amazingly short commute, but I was always afraid of biking in the city. My old office was right downtown, which meant I would need to bike down busy streets. I never got the courage.

But now I am trying to be healthier and I think a bike can help me with that goal by helping me get around town faster (ya...TTC can take forever). I also think that maybe I can bike to work since my current job is away from the core and I can get there by using a lot of bike paths and not roads. Score! It is a 11.5km ride and apparently will take me the same amount of time as TTCing it. Is that long? I honestly have no idea if that will be too-sweaty an idea or not (my work doesn't have fancy showers or anything!).

Oh, and my building has secure bike storage in the parking garage, so I wouldn't need to lock it up outside overnight or lug it up to my tiny unit- yay!

So please- give me some tips on biking in the city! Do you do it? All I know is get a good lock and avoid the streetcar tracks.

4 comments:

  1. I have no tips for biking in the city since I live far far away from a city. But I wanted to tell you that I'm excited you're getting a bike! I got one 3 years ago and barely ever use it but I plan on changing that this summer. The new me will like to bike. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like biking! When I was a kid I would hop on my bike and pedal all over my neighbourhood just for fun

      Delete
  2. I'm terrified of biking in the city. Now that we've been in our neighbourhood for 2 years, I think I could safely navigate the streets to get to the Don Valley Trail, which would then be a delightful breeze, but anything more? Terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya. The scariest part for me will be the .5km ride to the bike trail!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover