Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston Marathon Tragedy

My heart goes out to those people affected by the Boston attacks yesterday. At the time I am typing this, they still haven't conclusively identified if this is a terrorist attack, but I think it is safe to assume that this was something intentionally inflicted on poor, innocent bystanders, including children. It is really hard to process something of this nature because it hits so close to home.

People were quick to start pointing out how many people have died in other bombings across the world, which our news sources only ever quickly flit across. But the reason an attack like this gains so much attention is that we could have been there. It is not an attack in some far away country that we have never visited (but trust me, an attack there feels just as horrible to those who live there), but something that happened right in our own back yard. No matter where you live in the world, a tragedy like this in your vicinity will always feel like a smack in the face.

I saw a quote on twitter that I liked (I wish I could find it now), that said "when faced with a tragedy, look for the helpers. There are always people helping". We cannot let such a senseless act break us down. We need to get together to support the victims and others affected by what happened. I have not yet found a fund up for the victims, but please donate to one when it becomes active.


2 comments:

  1. The quote was from Mr. Rogers.
    https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/statuses/323950672930291713

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice post, Casey. My sister is a marathoner, and I can only imagine the worry and heartbreak I'd be feeling if she had been at an event where something like this happened. Being so far away from Boston, I feel completely helpless, but it's encouraging to hear all the stories of the outpourings of love in and around Boston. I'm also glad to hear that area hospitals seem to have received plenty of blood donations.

    As Lisa-Marie said, that quote was from Fred Rogers. There is also a great quote from Patton Oswalt that was originally posted on Facebook and making its way around social media. Here is a link to an article in the Indy Star that features his quote.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover