Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Marketing, Commenting, and Blog Growth

Hello my bloggy friends! I am sick (ugh) and high on cold medication (yay!) so I am just going to ramble a little bit here and then go to bed. I might also get off topic- cold medication makes me a space cadet. I can actually stare off into space for a very long time without realizing it. Does it affect anyone else like that? PS- I just googled affect vs effect, but I am pretty sure I still got it wrong.

I love this blog of mine, but I really don't work hard at promoting it. I am active on Twitter (@wafflingblog- find me. I'm awesome), but I don't really use any other social media. I post blog posts to my personal Facebook, but I probably should make a blog page for it instead. I use Pinterest, but not too much (I think I have lost interest in it...am I alone there?). I dabble a bit on Google+, but I don't really "get" it. I don't have Bloglovin, because I use Feedly to read blogs and other websites. I don't have Instagram because I have a ghetto Blackberry and it doesn't have that app. Buuut...I finally asked my boss if I can get a better phone (for non-instagram related reasons, but still) and he said yes! I just need to go buy it and it keeps getting put off. (Yes, my work pays for my phone. It is awesome, but it means I am on call 24/7, even on vacation. However my bosses are cool and hate to bother me "after hours").

What social media do you use? What do you like/dislike? I don't have 600 hours in my day to manage a bunch of accounts so I need things to be simple!


Also, I have been feeling a bit frustrated with not properly promoting my blog and getting more readers because I have an actual Degree in Marketing! This should be textbook! But I have realized three things which may explain this:

1. Personally, I like that my blog is low-pressure and I can post as I please. I am not constrained by making an income from it.

2. Fame is scary. It can come with new fans, or it can come with haters who judge you.

3. Social Media wasn't a "thing" when I got my degree!!

Source
It is really funny to think that my degree might be a bit obsolete, but so many of these social media platforms weren't around when I got my degree 5+ years ago. In fact, I recall not even owning a cell phone, let alone a smart phone, in my first 2 years of University. And I brought paper to class because my laptop weighed 10 lbs. Honestly, these things will seem crazy-old school to my kids one day!

Lastly, I want to talk about blog comments because I want to feel I am doing "right" by you guys that are kind enough to come over here and say nice things about my posts. With the Blogger platform, there isn't a plug-in that will email you and let you know when I respond to your post. And a lot of you are "noreply" bloggers so I can't email directly you if you ask a question (y'all need to fix that).

So which do you think is better?

1. Replying ON the blog post so new readers see I DO interact and love commenters
2. Emailing people directly to thank them for their comments, but leave no response on the blog post (I ain't doing both; Ain't nobody got time for that)

The other option would be installing a third party comment system, but I do want to make commenting as easy as possible for people. Any suggestions?

Source

12 comments:

  1. I love Disqus for commenting. I don't think you don't need to have an account to leave a comment. As for social media, I don't have Facebook. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out, but most of time I'm happy with that decision. I spend more than enough time on Instagram to make up for my lack of FB lol I also use twitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction:
    I don't think you need to have an account to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I comment back on the blog. If people are going to comment, I want them to see that I take the time to respond back. Sadly, blogger is all wonky these days so if you have a 3rd party commenting system, it looks like you still have zero comments to a post unless you open it up to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I feel bad that some people will never know I replied! Im sure most people dont come check again later in the day

      Delete
  4. I like to see comments on the blog, it makes me feel like you're a good blogger. :) And I usually check back to see what you wrote in response to me. So I say, continue doing that.

    As for social media, I just recently made myself a FB page for my blog and I'm loving it. I'm still getting used to it and learning how often to post and what posts get my readers interacting but so far, it's going well. I have a personal Pinterest account but don't use it for my blog.

    I also just recently signed up for AdSense but don't have any ads on my blog yet. It's confusing the heck out of me and I have no idea if I'm doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lordy girl, I feel ya on AdSense. I "thought" i had it set up for a year before I realized I was missing a bunch of info I needed to properly get it running!

      Delete
    2. Any tips on the AdSense thing then? Pretty please? ::::bats eyelashes at Casey:::

      Delete
  5. Although I'm not by any means a "pro" blogger, what I've learned from blogging for a year is that emailed comments are appreciated the most. That way, you can actually develop a repertoire with the other blogger. Also, most bloggers don't tend to go back to posts they've commented on just to see if the blogger has responded to them.

    If you want to get the best of both worlds, you can use Disqus. It's an application that you put on your blog that allows anyone to comment on your post. When you respond to a readers' comment, they get an email notifying them of the comment and your comment appears on your blog, so others can see that you've responded.

    I hope that helps! :) Now to follow you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having a ton of social media accounts can really get our of hand!! I tried to get into Twitter but I am currently obsessed with instagram so my twitter account rarely gets any use now a days... Also I had a vine account a snap chat and its just too much to keep up with!! LOL

    As far as comments go. If I ask a blogger a question I usually go back and check if they answered...if not, I usually don't worry about it... I don't expect an email but it is always a pleasant surprise when I get one lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post and wonderful blog, I really like this type of interesting articles about internet marketing
    blog marketing.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover