Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Mini Pies!

There are two things in this world that I love- pie and miniature things. Ok, I love more things than that, but those are on the list for sure. I was in charge of making desert for the family this year, so I decided to try making pie for the first time- pumpkin and apple! And for fun, I decided to make itty bitty ones in my muffin tin!



The apple pie filling was found here. It only makes 6 muffin-sized pies

The pumpkin pie filling was on the back of the pumpkin can I modified the seasoning), but it was:
2 eggs
398ml of Pure Pumpkin
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp of ground cinnamon*
1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg*
1/4 tsp of ground ginger*
1/4 tsp of salt
3/4 cup of evaporated milk

*I used 1 3/4 tsp of pumpkin pie seasoning instead

I also found the pumpkin pie can (it was 796ml or 26 ounces), was the perfect size for cutting out the crusts. It was a little small for the apple pies, as they need more to seal the edges. Be sure to grease up the muffin tin!





I made the pumpkin ones first (they require different cooking temperatures). I cooked them for 15 minutes at 400 degrees, then 20 minutes at 350. I wasn't sure how long to cook them, but I took them out when the crusts were brown and a knife inserted into the center came out clean. They come out pretty puffy at first, but they soon settle into adorable little pies.


For the apple ones I put little tops on with slits cut into it, then made a little maple leaf topper with a cookie cutter. I made the sure maple leaf didn't completely cover the slits. I brushed the maple leaf with egg in the hopes of making it a bit more distinctively brown. Then I pinched the edges of bottoms to the tops.



Unfortunately, the tops completely separated! I think I should have made the bottoms a little bigger so I could attach the tops more securely.


It ended up being for the best, however, because I could not get those pies out of the tin :(. I don't really know what went wrong, but I figured we could just eat the tops with the filling on the side- the tops are adorable!


I think next time I might try making the apple pies in muffin cups :)

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving! Or if you are in the States, are looking forward to yours! What is your staple dessert?

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea for making these mini pies! They look so Canadian with the maple leaf on top too. Pinning! ~Thea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! And those pie crusts look amazing! I'm happy that they mostly turned out, even if there were some issues with the apple ones. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we scooped them out and ate them anyway- they were delicious!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover