Monday, October 28, 2013

Trim Work In The Entryway

Can you tell what change I made in the front hall this weekend?


1. I got rid of the cat

2. I took the tassels off the rug!

I don't know why it takes so long for the simplest ideas to take root in your brain. I have had this rug for 3 or 4 years and in all that time it annoyed me how the tassels always got caught under the door. The rug itself is very thin, but the knots for the tassels were just a touch too big to be able to clear under the door.

So I got to work with my scissors:


And I ran a quick seam down both sides to prevent the rug from unraveling and looking unfinished. This certainly isn't a project you could tackle on a regular rug, but this one is very thin and my sewing machine had no issues with it.


Total time for this project was probably just 20 minutes!


Once and awhile the door does still catch on the rug and flip the corner over, but it doesn't get STUCK under the door like it used to, so I can just kick the corner back down.

You might also notice that the yellow dresser is still in the front hall. I haven't the heart to get rid of yet, and I feel like I need to get some yellow back in this area!! There are just too many muted tones over here for my taste :)

3 comments:

  1. I love how smart you are. I totally never would have thought to take the tassles off, I probably would have bought a new rug! It looks great without the tassles and I can imagine how much nicer it is not having it get stuck under your door every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seriously, it is such an improvement!! and freeee! hahaa

      Delete
  2. Perfect (and free!) solution! I love that yellow dresser... I'm glad it didn't disappear! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover