Thursday, March 14, 2013

100 Abandoned Houses

I have had a really busy week and mixed with my 10K training workouts I really haven't had the time to sit down and do any projects or anything blog-related. And since the rest of my week/weekend is jammed packed too I don't know when I will ever find the time!

Today I wanted to share with you a website that my coworker sent to me to check out this week. It is called 100 Abandoned Houses and it is a collection of photographs of abandoned homes in the Detroit area. The photographer, Kevin Bauman, started taking these photos years ago so you may notice some older model cars and such around the homes, but many of them were recent and showcase the ghost city that Detroit is becoming. 

I find them quite beautiful, in an eerily sad way. Some of the homes were destroyed by fire, but others have just been neglected or vandalized to the point of collapse. I can't help but think about the families that once lived here and what happened to them. Where did they go? Why did they leave their homes?

It is strange to think about how your home just can't possibly exist forever and that one day it may be gone. My grandparents lived in the same house for 55 years and their greatest fear when they sold it was that the new owner was going to tear it down (thankfully they did not). We grow such strong attachments to our homes, but eventually we all leave for one reason or another. I really wonder what will happen to my little condo one day. I don't think condominium buildings have been around long enough to see what happens to them long term.

Anyways, if you get a chance today, please visit www.100abandonedhouses.com. I was really fascinated by it!

6 comments:

  1. I see an abandoned house and I want it, to fix it up and bring it back to its former glory. We have three on our street, two that are clearly empty, one that mysteriously gets its lawn cut and snow shoveled even though I have never seen a light on in the place.

    We've grown pretty attached to our little house, but the truth of the matter is that there's a good chance that the next owner will rip it down and renovate it beyond recognition. Or, perhaps a developer will get lucky, buy up the block and convince the city to allow a condo complex. I've come to terms with the far future of our house, but then, we've only owned it for 2 years, not 55!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya they lived in Scarborough with a big lot and tiny bungalow so they thought the person would tear it down and big a big house

      I love these old homes too! I dont know if I would have the patience to try and restore one, but I like to imagine what they looked like in their prime.

      Delete
  2. About to go check out the website. Your paragraph about your grandparents' house reminds me of the post Daniel at Manhattan Nest just wrote (and also my comment on the post). I'm fairly certain my grandparents' house is going to be destroyed, and I can't bear the thought of it. Even though the house feels totally different now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thats so sad! I wonder if the new owners have made any changes to my grandparents house? I cant see myself ever going back there so I guess I will never know!

      Delete
  3. Hey Casey, just some comments on Grandma and Grandpa's house (my Mum and Dad, and I grew up there along with your mom - just FYI for your fans). They were there for 58 years. They owned a double lot, so it would have been fair game for a builder to knock it down and build two monster homes. Luckily that neighbourhood isn't "big" on monster homes. Their neighbours, who were wonderful to Mum and Dad, always loved the huge lot and and their home, so they purchased it. Very exciting for ALL of us! They are making some renovations, yes, but I'm sure will be very tasteful. One was to enlarge that little kitchen LOL. I bet we COULD go and see if I ask them. I got to know them quite well over the years too! xo Auntie Sheila Going to look at your link now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew the neighbours bought it but I just didnt go into detail. I would love to see what they did with that tiny kitchen! It made my condo kitchen look colossal!!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover