Thursday, March 21, 2013

Patio Plans!

Last night I went to Costco with my dad because I heard they had Hunter rain boots in stock for 50% retail. Well apparently my Costco didn't get that memo and they did not have them in stock :(

However I did pick up something exciting! Patio Flooring! Yup, the balcony is getting a makeover this spring!

When I moved in it looked like this:

But after a broken chair and few changes last summer it looked more like this:


And now I am ready to make some better updates and really solidify the look back here because she is kind of a hot mess. I plan on keeping the folding table and getting rid of the one remaining folding chair and the white bench. I haven't decided on whether or not I am keeping the yellow chair.

Then I plan to add my new Costco flooring!

I don't think this is the exact product, but it basically looks like this image. It was $29.00 per box (10 sq ft in a box). I liked it because it is the same price as the more common Ikea Platta Flooring, but I can lay it all in one direction, rather than in a parquet style. I like the modern feel of the straight lines.

Then I am going to move the table to the back wall (the shot of the two chairs on my balcony above is the spot) and get some potted plants for it or something. It will be there if I need a table for entertaining, but generally I find I don't need one often. In front of the table I plan on adding two comfy chairs like these Canadian Tire ones:

I am going to keep my ear to the ground for any good sales because I don't really want to spend $130 on a chair. I'm hoping to find a similar style for less!

Then I would like to add some throw pillows and a striped rug! I am also considering hanging baskets from the balcony wall, like these inexpensive ones from Ikea. My only concern is that I always kill plants, but maybe mother nature could keep them watered and happy at the balcony edge?

Now all I need to figure out is what to do with the pointy corner of this strange triangle balcony. I may put the yellow chair there, but I am not attached to it. Any ideas? Here is an old drawing of the balcony layout, but it has the general shape. It is the right side I am confused on.

I can't wait for it to get warmer so I can get started!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm liking these plans! I think that the flooring you chose is perfect and your plans for updating the furniture and rearranging it all sounds fabulous. I can't wait to see this project come together!

    And no suggestions for the point corner, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flooring. Will it be hard to size it to your space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup gonna be a lot of cutting but dad had a small electric hand saw he is going to lend me and the flooring is very thin. I will probably use it literally and saw off my hand. we shall see.

      Delete
  3. I suggest sticking something like this in the corner: http://www.patiostore.com/backyard/ici-folding-corner-rack-p-8871.html?manufacturers_id=115&osCsid=93616131a6cb0276f5b0feda8d6de06c. It is an outdoor corner shelf for setting pots/plants on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats a neat idea! i might look into something simialr

      Delete
  4. Love the plans! I wonder if our Costco has something like that flooring. We would need a LOT of it for our back porch though. (It's about 14'x28'. Not that I'm complaining, just that right now it's mismatched tile & concrete and awful.)

    Does Cost Plus/World Market ship to you? They have fairly inexpensive chairs. Or maybe you'll luck out somewhere like a HomeSense or even Costco when it warms up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have to look! I couldnt find the product online. I am not sure on shipping costs from an US company, so Im hoping to find something local! Usually Loblaws or Ctire ends up having something awesome and cheap by surprise

      Delete
  5. I love the new plans! That flooring is much better than cold concrete =)

    PS- thanks for the head's up on Hunter's Boots- I'm going to check out our Costco(s) soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think someone said they were going for $90 in Canada

      Delete
  6. Hi! Can't wait to see your plans come together! I love the idea of changing the floor.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover